Thursday, December 4, 2014

Cheesy Baked Fish with Savory Egg Custard

As a SAHM, besides worrying about the kids' well being, I am constantly, yes constantly thinking of what I should cook for my family. Be it breakfast, lunch or dinner, I'm cracking my head to come up with quick and easy meals to fill those empty bellies. You're probably thinking "Just Da Bao please!" But I am weird I admit, I couldn't get myself to feed my kids those outside food! Too much seasoning, too oily and seriously you know what they put in it to make it taste that good haha! Well occasional weekend dine out is okay with me, but I do try my best to cook daily for my family.

Today's easy one pot dish is kind of a fusion between a quiche and a frittata. Not quiche because no pie crust involve...good, less work involve, heehee. Not exactly a frittata either because I am using less egg and a lot more ingredients, thus you can't serve them in slices. Just a simple dish that contains all the necessary carb, protein and even dairy needed to make all balanced and healthy meal.

Let see what we need:
Okay, I ain't gonna lie...I am just showing off my new Jamie Oliver Glazed Terracotta Casserole Dish. That blue...love! A good cook needs good tools..I live by that rule haha! Got this lovely bakeware from Tangs! Have you checked them out after they reopened their doors after renovations? I just love shopping at their home appliance and bake / cook ware section!
  
Ingredients for Cheesy Baked Fish with savory egg custard :(Serves 3-4)
1 broccoli head, cut into bite size (weighs about 250g)
300g white fish, cut into large chunks (I used Tilapia)
3 eggs
200ml fresh milk
4 strips bacon, but into smaller pieces
3 medium potatos
2 tbsp ketchup
1 cup Mozzarella cheese 
salt and pepper to taste
A good casserole dish for baking this dish.
  • Season the fish fillet chunks with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Heat up the cooking pan, no need oil, add in the bacon and cook till fat has been rendered out and golden crisp. Remove from pan and let drain on paper towels.
  •  


  • Remove the pork fat and add in a tbsp of fresh cooking oil at medium low fire. Add in the potato chunks and cook the potatoes till slightly golden on the outside. Dish out and again drain on the paper towel.
  •  
  •  Next cook the fish on the pan and just for awhile to get it slightly golden brown on the outside. 

  •  Lastly, you steam boil the broccoli pieces. You heat up a pot with only a centimeter worth of water inside. Then place the broccoli pieces inside and let it steam boil for a good 5 minutes, then dish out.

  •  Now in a mixing bowl, crack the 3 eggs in and add in the milk and ketchup. Mix well and add in a pinch of salt and few rounds of fresh ground peppers.

  • Add 3/4 of the egg mixture into the Casserole dish.

  • Then place all the ingredients in, that's the broccoli, fish fillets, potatoes and bacon.

  • Then you add in the remaining egg mixture and top it off with mozzarella cheese. Then send it into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes till top is golden brown.

  • And the aftermath....yummeh

  • Serve it while it is still hot...with toast or even pasta. :9
Oh that Jamie Oliver dish just baked beautifully! I am so gonna try using it to bake a Christmas roast later! :9
A quick and easy meal you can whip up in an hour. You are welcome to change the fish to chicken too. Anything that you family fancies. Just bare in mind that a good dish requires a good cook/bake ware. Grab yours at Tangs now! Tangs is located at heart of Orchard and VivoCity, happy shopping!


2 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the combination of flavours and it looks very satisfying and tasty too.

kitchen flavours said...

Such a delicious looking dish! I too, sometimes in a limbo, thinking what to prepare for the day's meals.
One thing's for sure, one pot meals are always a favourite!
Beautiful roasting dish! :)