Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Honey Wholewheat Loaf and Tuna Cheese Buns

The kids' mid-year exams are finally over and I finally have a breather from all that hectic revisions (almost sounds like my exam!). I guess I am just a typical stay-home mum that always worries about their kids' work more then they do! Anyway, school work aside, I'm glad I get to do my regular bakes and bread is definitely one of them. I must say I have a weakness for bread, and if I have to survive on one food and one food only, I would choose bread, hahaha!

Today's bread recipe was done a month back and now I finally got the chance to post it. I must say this wholewheat bread recipe is really good, and I have already made it twice! ;) Not only is it healthy, it's one of the softest wheat bread I have made. ;)
I found this wonderful recipe from a book I found in the library call "吐司麵包的烘焙技術". A Japanese publication, translated in Taiwan which consist of so many wonderful bread loaf recipes. I literally spent hours studying it. ;)) I've ask my brother to purchase this book for me from Taiwan...can't wait for it to arrive! (^o^)

This recipe calls for a starter dough which needs to be chilled up to 12 hours. So do a little prep work will be good. I actually left this starter dough in my fridge up to 36 hours the 2nd time I bake it and it was still good. ;)
I have made slight changes and portion the ingredients to my needs. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients for Honey Wholewheat Loaf (Using Starter Dough technique):
Pre Dough:
60g whole wheat flour
60g bread flour
120ml water


Mix all of the above ingredients together till well combined. Store in an air tight container and chill the fridge up to 12 hours.


Main Dough:
All of the above starter dough (there is no need to let it reach room temperature)
360g bread flour
8g instant active dry yeast
8g salt
40g sugar
20g honey
12g milk powder
210ml milk
30g butter, room temperature

Filling:
A can of tuna, drained and mix with some mayo, 1 tsp powder sugar, 1/4 salt & 1/2 pepper
3 slices of cheddar cheese
  • Knead all ingredients of the main dough together, except the butter. Add pre-ferment dough piece by piece. Knead after each addition until soft and smooth. Add butter. Knead until stretchable and pass the window panel consistency.
  • Put the dough into a big bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it prove for 30minutes till double.
  • This recipe is enough to make a 9X5 loaf and 5 buns. So weigh out 600g for the loaf and the rest of the dough, divide into 6 equal portions. For the loaf portion, divide into 3 equal portions of 200g. Flatten each portion with your hands to drive the air out. Roll it into square shape, cover and let rest for 5 minutes before shaping.
  • For Loaf: Flatten the dough to drive the air out. Roll each out into a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin. Fold about 2cm from both sides towards the center and roll it out again. Roll the dough up like swiss roll (the width should be the same as the tin) and out them into the mould. Repeat for the rest of the dough portions. For the buns, shape them to whatever shape you desire. Then fill the buns with the tuna filling and seal nicely. Cover with cling wrap.
  • Let it prove for about 30-45 minutes or until the dough has risen to 80 to 90% of the depth of the loaf tin. You can either cover the lid or bake it open top. Omitted the egg wash if you want to make it a vegetarian version. Bake in 175C for 30 to 35minutes for the loaf and 13-15 minutes for the buns.
Even with the addition of wheat, this loaf was surprisingly soft, even on the following day. My kids down it happily, not knowing the wholesome goodness packed in the bread. ;)

I made some tuna cheese buns as well. But after it's out of the oven, I realized I should have used those pizza topping cheese instead of the regular sliced cheddar cheese...it's way too "toasty" looking. :P
A shot to further convince you to try out this healthy recipe. ;)) Try it and you will know wholesame can be tasty too. ;) Hopefully I would be able to post up more recipe from this wonderful recipe book. If you are bread lover like me...stay tune! ;D


Have a great week ahead all! Cheers!

12 comments:

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我喜欢你面包的圈圈
好漂亮

是啊,我学校的考试也刚好结束
但是我们还在忙着改考卷进分数
还是忙忙忙,哈哈

My Little Space said...

Showing me these bread in the morning....just making me go more hungry! haha..... Hoep you're going to have a great day ahead.
Kristy

ReeseKitchen said...

I'll make this tuna cheese buns....;p Thanks for the recipe!!Btw,can't wait to see you!!!!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Bee, the texture of the bread is perfect. I am imagining me have a slice and sipping my tea this morning.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Nowadays i also try to make bread at home, no more buying from outside..Your loaf look so soft and fresh.

Janine said...

love the texture of the bread, and the tuna cheese buns look absolutely divine!!

lena said...

i'm a bread lover too so i'm going to stay tune for your coming posts!! eh friend, dont take so long to come back!

jasmine said...

Tried your bread recipe over the weekend. Am soo.......delighted. The texture is so QQ and moist. However, it took me a little longer to get the elastic texture. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi HBS, thanks for the sharing this recipe.
Can I confirm yeast is not needed in the starter dough?


Regards,
Xiqi

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Xiqi, yes there is no yeast needed in the starter dough. Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I made these too and they r really soft :) just wan to ask when baking, do you switch on both upper and lower heating elements? Thanks - Kelly

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Kelly, if ur oven has that option then you can use it yes.