Monday, March 28, 2011

Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding & Award

It has been awhile since I took the trouble to make something special in the morning for my family on a Sunday. Usually, I would just whip up some pancakes or waffles for them. However last Sunday, I decided to try something a little more special, a little more sinful but worth working out the calories later, lol! *I hope* May I present to you Chocolate Croissant Bread pudding!
Besides being absolutely delicious, this is so easy to whip up! Really! It probably took me like 30 minutes from start to finish, tops. :) Just one important thing to remember when making this pudding is to use non freshly baked croissants, preferably a day or 2 old. But if you can't wait that long (like me), you simply just toast the croissants in the oven at 150C for 10 minutes to dry it out. Also, it best to use shallow heat proof dishes to help it cook quickly.
I got this recipe from Easy Deserts Magazine from the Publisher of Fine Cooking. Here is the recipe, slightly modified to adjust to my taste.

Ingredients for Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding:
8 oz couple days old croissants (I used 5, bought from NTUC)
2/3 cups semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
6 tbsp caster sugar (I used only 3 tbsp)
2/3 cup half & half (I used 1/3 cup whole milk + 1/3 cup dairy heavy cream)
1 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into tiny bits

Method:

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Cut/tear the croissants into 1" bite size and arrange half of the pieces in the dish or ramekins for individual serving. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Top with remaining croissant pieces.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk the whole egg, egg yolk, sugar and half-and half and pour over the croissants.
  • Dot the pudding with the butter bits. Then bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the pudding sets. Serve warm or let stand for an hour to serve at room temperature.
Taste? It's crispy and buttery on the outside, creamy and chocolaty on the inside. So good! My kids loved it very much. :) Although I did reduce the sugar to half, I think I can even further reduce it to just 1 tbsp, hahaha! But my kids might start complaining, lol! Anyway, hope you folks will give this recipe a try, it's simply worth the try.

Before I sign off, I would like to thank Esther from X3Baking for awarding me the following award: I am truly honored for receiving this! Many thanks to Esther! This has again motivated me to be a better food blogger and also to keep up with this blogging world. Hopefully I can post up more wonderful recipes for all to share. :)

Have a great week ahead all! Cheers!

22 comments:

busygran said...

Chocolate seems to be a fave! It's mine too! Any left to spare?

mr. pineapple man said...

this looks sooooo delicious! yum yum!

Bakertan said...

Bee Bee,

congrats on the award.

I love bread puddings. They taste especially good with vanilla sauce. I could rememeber the first time I had my bread pudding at Marche and I was totally blown away.

Wish someone could make me some bread pudding for dessert or breakfast.

My Little Space said...

Hey Bee, congratulations on your well deserved award. I think the pudding is perfect for the celebration. :o) My kids love it too. Hope you'll have a great week ahead.
Kristy

ann low said...

The bread pudding looks real good to eat at anytime of the day. Best with a cup of hot coffee :)

CaThY said...

This looks so yummy! ;)

Unknown said...

This looks delicious, good start for Sunday morning ^_^

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

sound easy and looks good!

茄子 said...

Croissant 一定很好吃。最近这也是我在想的事,可是没有太多的时间。折来叠去。很好吃,可是也很麻烦。哎哟,还是先来看你的好了。

ReeseKitchen said...

Hey this is easy and sounds delicious!! I'll try this Saturday morning...thanks! I think I'll ad some raisins when serve..heehee!

lena said...

hey bee, looks like 'yau char kwai' but this is definately much more tastier and healthier than 'yau char kwai'!!

Jean said...

my sister has been bugging me to make bread pudding for the longest time but i find it quite "chim" hahaha but you made it look really simple and delicious! :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@busygran: oh all gone already....but if you coming over for tea, will definitely make more for you! :)

@mr pineapple man: thanks for dropping by and your compliment. :)

@ZY: thanks! Oh yeah? Didn't know Marche serves bread pudding...under desert section? Heehee, my friend....I'm sure next time your sweetheart/ wife would gladly make it for you every Sunday! Quickly jot down the recipe for her!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks Kristy! Yeah, actually this pudding is a wee bit sweet for my liking, but my kiddos heart it a lot. You have a super week ahead too!

Thanks Ann! Yeah, I remember washing it down with my favorite English Breakfast ....yum yum!

Thanks Cathy!

Thanks neyeeloh! I think my kids would bug me to make it for them everyday if I didn't tell them IRS special Sunday breakfast! :P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Thanks for the encouragement Sonia!

@ 茄子: actually I didn't make these croissants, heehee! I bought it because I was too lazy to make them myself. : P but I did make croissants once when I was still living in California, where the weather is much cooler then Spore! Indeed a troublesome dough with lots of folding and chilling....but the end result is something you can be proud and enjoy very much! :) hope to see your croissant post next time. :)

Hey Reese, I think you and Cheryl will looovvveeee this! Crispy and buttery, very yummy! Oh yeah horr, raisins would be perfect!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

@Lena: you know the funniest thing? My younger kid saw me cutting the croissants in the kitchen and quickly ran to her elder sibling shouting " Sis! Mummy cutting you tiao (you cha kuey) for our breakfast and she added chocolate chips to it!!" lol!

@Jean: heehee, I also thought it was quite chim last time! But after readin g the recipe, it's just pouring custard liquid over dried bread and bake, hats all! Hope to see your bread pudding post soon!

Sanjeeta kk said...

What a lovely pudding! Easy and quick to make too, on my weekend menu for sure :)

pigpigscorner said...

Looks so yummy! I'm always too lazy to cook in the morning =P

The Sweetylicious said...

CONGRATS! it was such a great idea! and it look so delicious! (:

Anonymous said...

i have an award for you. check this out

http://homecookbaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/lovely-blog-award.html

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

At first glance, I thought you had done something with youtiao! Hey, maybe not such a bad idea! I can try to replicate this with youtiao!

Zoe said...

Congrats with your awards. This pudding has the best combination for a comforting dessert....Chocolate and Croissant are like the perfect couple.