Friday, July 17, 2009

Chocolate Banana cupcakes with chocolate chips

Early this morning went to Bake with Yen (a bakery supply store) with 2 of my buddies after a delicious breakfast at Old Town. Whenever I go to a bakery supply store, I'll always buy plenty of stuff,...yeah even stuff I am not sure if I need it, haha! But you know I am always a happy shopper there. ;) Anyway, with nothing on my agenda this afternoon, I decided to give a new cupcake recipe a try. Have actually delayed baking this for a couple of days due to other matters at hand. Hence those bananas that were suppose to be in this recipe were all really ripe and spotted! But I guess that makes them full flavored & sweeter! ;)
Ingredients for Chocolate Banana cupcakes with chocolate chips:
240g cake flour
30g unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
100g caster sugar
180g unsalted butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
60ml buttermilk (or you can use fresh milk)

3 ripe medium to large bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 cups chocolate chips & more for topping

Method:
  • In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
  • Add eggs into the mixture one at a time and beat the mixture till incorporated.
  • Add buttermilk and mix well. Then add the mashed bananas in and stir in well.
  • Sift all the dry ingredients in and mix till just combined.
  • Preheat the oven to 180°C.
  • Line muffin tins with paper cups and scoop the batter in to 2/3 full. Top a few more chocolate chips on top if desired.
  • Bake in the oven for 15 minutes for small cupcakes and 20 minutes for large ones. The cake tester or toothpick should come out clean when done.
It's really been quite some time since I make mini cupcakes for my little girls. So when they saw me making these they were pretty excited. ;) I made some large ones too, but some how my girls only prefer the small ones...;)
I figured those super ripe bananas I used are pretty sweet, so I have used less sugar in the recipe. So if you decided to try out this recipe and wants a slightly sweeter version, you can add an extra 15 to 20g of sugar into the recipe. Overall the taste is great, light and not too sweet and I am sure you know when you combine bananas and chocolate together, it's yummy. ;) Try it out and you'll see what I mean. :) Happy bakes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aiya.....we miss this!!! Looks very yummy and beautiful....;P

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Err...and you are who Anonymous???

Anonymous said...

Is me, Reese la...dunno y i become this Anonymous?!! Ha ha!

Small Small Baker said...

I have passed you the 'Kreativ Blogger Award'. Check my blog to see what it's all about. :)