Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gingerbread Boys

What better way to bring some Christmas mood into the house then baking some homemade Gingerbread cookies. ;) My girls loves gingerbread man, I suspect it's the cute cookie shape that attracts them. This is my first attempt to make gingerbread cookies and it turn out well. My three "cookie monsters" at home enjoys these cuties a lot.

I did some research on the recipe and came up with this one which doesn't require all of the usual spices and also molasses. I know it is not as "authentic" but I guess so long as it suits your family taste, it's good enough for you. :)

Ingredients:
200g of plain flour
50g ground almond
120g brown sugar
1 egg, room temperature
100g butter, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp ground ginger powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

  • Except for butter and eggs, place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well using a whisk to break up any lumps.
  • Using your finger tips, press in the butter cubes to the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
  • Lightly beat the egg and mix into the cookie batter and knead it till it all comes together into a dough.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C.
  • Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick, and using gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out the cookies. Decorate if desire.
  • Place the cookies on a greased baking tray and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until firm to the touch and golden brown.
If you want, pipe some pink vanilla icing on the cookies to give it a smile. ;) Much better don't you think?When I was about to keep the cookies in the jar, my younger daughter ask me, how come the gingerbread man are not wearing any cloths? So after some thoughts, I decided to melt 50g of white chocolate and drop 2 green food coloring in it and pipe the ganache on the little man to make the cloths, haha. I think I need more practice on the piping. ;)
A Little Love Makes A Whole World Of Difference
So Share the Gift of Love Today

No comments: